Tuesday 19 April 2011







































In the S/S 2011 issue of Another Man, Tom Ford gives, to quote Another Man, "five easy lessons in how to be a modern gentleman", as part of an interview with Dazed & Confused founder Jefferson Hack. It goes as follows:

1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.

2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.

3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they're walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.

4. Don't be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.

5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.


By no means an extensive or demanding list, it's a short, quick guide which every 'gentleman' should follow. I do, however, disagree slightly with the final lesson (sorry Tom.) I agree with the flip flops - but shorts? I can of course understand where he is coming from, they're informal and can potentially look a bit touristy when worn out and about. And I hate it when people wear shorts when it's not absolutely scorching hot. But otherwise, when worn under appropriate circumstances (not in fifteen degree heat when it's cloudy and there's a bit of sun poking through, yes England I'm talking to you), I think shorts are acceptable. But I don't know. TF must have his reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment